Monday, November 19, 2012

Final Study

At this point, I think I've finally figured out my study:

Three case studies, laden with archival research and naturalistic observation, all about the effects violent crime has on our society. I'm going to take three specific cases and draw parallels between them, and tie in conflict theory- the idea that we need to have conflict in order to have, well, order.

The first case will probably be Jack the Ripper, because let's be honest, I like Ripper and he's an early enough and infamous enough killer to have shaped the whole of the nineteen hundreds.

The second case will be the Zodiac, because he was more focused in the natural, sort of idealistic American setting, and definitely shaped American investigative work, specifically.

The third case, I think, will be the September 11th attacks on the United States- it's a sort of different act of violent crime we don't think about very often, because it falls so specifically under the branch of "terrorism", but is a violent crime none the less, and has severely impact us in later society, to the point where our generation can easily pinpoint a "before" and "after" society that evolved from the attacks.

I'll draw parallels between these cases and how they fit into the general conflict theory, which I'll dive more into and explain more in detail, and offer specific examples in our daily lives that were shaped by these incidents, acting under the thesis that society needs violent crime to function, believe it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment