Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Social Deviance: Why?

After a prolonged break, brought to you in part by the inconveniently timed Senior Retreat and our awful Laptops (Seriously, though, my Sys32 file deleted itself on Friday, so on Sunday I hunted down Mr. Hotz at the open house and interrupted him giving a tour to beg him to fix my laptop... Somewhere out there there's a prospective IHA girl whose family thinks our school is made up of hysterical, rude girls... they might be right.)

Anyway, moving right along. We've been talking about social deviance a whole lot in class lately, which fits into my topic nicely. Violent Crime, in itself, is a social deviance. You don't see people stabbing each other or robbing each other every day, because it's not a social norm. I found this article on Social Deviance, and how it relates to Crime, and why it relates to Crime, Biologically, Socially, etc.

You don't have to read the whole thing, as it's kind of wordy, but it's interesting. Why do you think people commit violent crimes? If it's a social deviancy, how do people learn it? Would criminals be considered a counter culture?

When we heard the word "criminal", we think of hardened criminals- murderers, robbers, rapists, etc. But on the other hand, what about something like that scene in Disney's Aladdin- "I steal only what I can't afford- but that's everything!"? Does that make people who are only trying to survive social deviants? People who commit crimes of "necessity"?

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carly!
    I don't necessarily think that people who are trying to survive are social deviants. I mean they are committing crimes by stealing, but then is there an exception for that act because all they're doing is trying to survive? It's a really tough question to answer because there is both sides to that. I'm really glad you brought this up! Extremely interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete